You need to plan your upgrade before you start. The following aspects need to be checked (but are not limited to them):
- UDP / TCP ports used
- DNS name resolution (Forward, Reverse, Short, FQDN)
- NTP time services
- Server certificates
- Valid backup
- Additional VMware products (f. ex. vCenter Chargeback, vSphere Auto Deploy) in use?
- 3rd party products (Cisco Nexus 1000v) in use?
- Target Deployment Model to be achieved
- Guest OS
- Database interoperability
- Linked Mode in use?
- Multisite Single Sign-On (manual replication)
- Document Single Sign-On configuration
If you have changed your server certificates or the server name after installing vCenter server you should fix that before starting the upgrade or you should expect more time to succeed. I have had that two times onsite and it can cost a lot of time. You should use the SSL Automation Tool because it helps you.
Some needful Knowledge Base articles:
Upgrading to vCenter Server 6.0 best practices kb.vmware.com/kb/2109772
VMware Platform Services Controller 6.0 FAQs kb.vmware.com/kb/2113115
Check the VMware vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center:
vCenter Server 5.1 upgrade to vCenter Server 6.0
Let us start with the following complex scenario:
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Update 3 (Build 3070521)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Build 6.1.7601)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 (Build 10.50.6000.34)
- Three geographical sites in Europe, Asia and USA
- VMware vCenter Server, vCenter Single Sign-On, Inventory Service, Orchestrator, and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 running on VMs 105, 106, 107
- VMware vSphere Web Client and Update Manager running on VMs 102, 103, 104
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Linked Mode configuration
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Multisite Single Sign-On configuration
- For each site, a Platform Services Controller is required
It is needed to reconfigure the environment before starting the upgrade process because it would result in an Embedded Deployment Model. For more information on that, check: kb.vmware.com/kb/2130433 and kb.vmware.com/kb/2033620
This post is about upgrading from vCenter Server 5.1 Update 3 to vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1 devided in seven parts.